Thursday, May 23, 2013

My Review: Let the sky fall by Shannon Messenger

   
From Goodreads:

Seventeen-year-old Vane Weston has no idea how he survived the category five tornado that killed his parents. And he has no idea if the beautiful, dark-haired girl who’s swept through his dreams every night since the storm is real. But he hopes she is.

Seventeen-year-old Audra is a sylph, an air elemental. She walks on the wind, can translate its alluring songs, and can even coax it into a weapon with a simple string of commands. She’s also a guardian—Vane’s guardian—and has sworn an oath to protect Vane at all costs. Even if it means sacrificing her own life.

When a hasty mistake reveals their location to the enemy who murdered both of their families, Audra’s forced to help Vane remember who he is. He has a power to claim—the secret language of the West Wind, which only he can understand. But unlocking his heritage will also unlock the memory Audra needs him to forget. And their greatest danger is not the warriors coming to destroy them—but the forbidden romance that’s grown between them.

                       My review: 


      The idea of Wind walkers and Sylphs  really fascinated me. This book not only gave me an idea but also a glimpse of these interesting creatures. It's not sci-fi, not gods and goddesses either, this is something new for me! I am fully aware of elements such as earth, water, fire and wind.. but to create a story focusing on one element ...the wind... is literally a breath of fresh air!

    Here I was introduced to the four types / House of Wind walkers, 1. Easterlies 2. Northerlies 3. Southerlies and 4.Westerlies. It was really fascinating to know that each differs and something incredible happens when combined or mixed. And quite very powerful when all four combined... even deadly when taken by the wrong hands.

    The story focuses on the main character Vane, the "miracle boy"," the chosen one" ... the "boy who lived" . Yeah, sounds like Harry Potter! But Vane is not a wizard or anything like that.  And he is not even aware he is not human.And he is the LAST surviving Westerly!  He lost his parents when the "tonado" / Stormers attacked. And bummer, he also lose his memory!   All he could remember is the beautiful girl who keeps haunting his dreams every night! His Dream girl.

“She’s the girl. The one I’ve been dreaming about since the day I woke up in that pile of rubble and found my whole world torn apart. The only clue to my past. The only thing I see when I close my eyes”
  


    His  Dream Girl. Audra. The one who's been watching him over the years. Sounds like his guardian angel? Well, she's more than that. She is a Wind walker. And a very skilled one. She is also there when the tornado / Stormers destroyed Vane's family. She is also there when her own father died protecting Vane. Audra was part of  Gale Force and made an oath to protect Vane at all cost. She must train Vane before the Stormers finds them and it will be the end of everything. And they only have 8 days to do that! Vane can't afford any distraction... which includes the beautiful Audra herself. He clearly feels something for Audra ...and Audra is feeling the same way too! But she can't ..she must not. Feeling something for Vane is prohibited and yes considered to be a Treason! This is so... Ugh!

     All throughout the book, I could see how Audra resisted her growing attraction to Vane. It is quite frustrating  but I understand how she takes her "oath" seriously. As in REALLY seriously! I pity her, how can she sacrifice her own happiness for this? And she carries the guilt. Audra tried to show a hard and tough exterior but deep inside she is just like any normal "human" teenager. She wants to be free...to be loved.  And Vane. Poor Vane , I know how he tries hard to master the four languages ... it's a HUGE responsibility and to think that he is the only HOPE ?! He has to defeat the evil Stormer and take the throne in order to restore harmony among Windwalkers.  And take this: he is already betrothed to someone he doesn't know?!Or even love! How about Audra?! He loves Audra! And if he is to bond.. it will be with Audra.If it is only as simple as that. But it isn't. Looks like we have  another star crossed lovers here!  Arrrrgh! Well, the Stormers have not  yet arrived  but I felt like I've been tortured! I'm in pain!!


    As they spend time training and waiting for Vane's breakthrough, the more their feelings grow... and the more Audra begun to loosen up. ( and literally loosen her tight braids! )  And she cares for Vane a lot that she almost kissed him during his dangerous breakthrough. 

    I love it when the real action begun, when the Stormers came. I can almost picture out their battle. Like I can see huge, dangerous , big winds in all directions. I can feel the suspense and almost at the edge while waiting for Vane's move! And to think that Westerlies are non-violent?! How can he fight when it's not even in his nature?!  So when  Audra's life is at stake, Vane did the unthinkable .. he fought! He saved her.

     I also love it the way certain revelations are unfold. When Audra fund out about the truth the day her father and Vane's parents were killed,  it  was something I never expected. I felt relief but also sorry that this happened to her. 

    I love the twist. But it also left me with questions. The ending is a cliffhanger but it has given me hope for something more in the next book. And I'm looking forward seeing Vane and Audra again. 


                           My verdict:

                    4 windblown stars!




1 comment: