Wednesday, June 5, 2013

My Review: Breathe by Abbi Glines

Breathe (Sea Breeze, #1)    
From Goodreads:

    Sadie White's summer job isn't going to be on the beach life-guarding or working at rental booths like most kids her age. With her single mother's increasing pregnancy and refusal to work, Sadie has to take over her mother's job as a domestic servant for one of the wealthy summer families on a nearby island.

When the family arrives at their summer getaway, Sadie is surprised to learn that the owner of the house is Jax Stone, one of the hottest teen rockers in the world. If Sadie hadn't spent her life raising her mother and taking care of the house she might have been normal enough to be excited about working for a rock star.

Even though Sadie isn't impressed by Jax's fame, he is drawn to her. Everything about Sadie fascinates Jax but he fights his attraction. Relationships never work in his world and as badly as he wants Sadie, he believes she deserves more. By the end of the summer, Jax discovers he can't breathe without Sadie.                


                                 My Review:

    I  have to say that  I craved for Abbi Glines books since last month. But since I go overboard accepting as much Author's Review Copies as I thought I could manage ..well,  you can see the picture! That's one overworked , under-slept Billie for the month of May! ( I don't regret it though?! Just learned my lesson--- the sweet ...hard way!  lol. )
 
     This has to be the most " innocent" Abbi Glines books that I have  read! ( After Fallen Series and Twisted Perfection)  The kisses are sweet  ( and no heavy tongue actions involved! Haha! ) and no  sexy dirty talks, instead those were the sweetest ... and sappiest words I read coming from a teen Rock star, Jax Stone!

    I always love Abbi Glines setting.. Alabama. Think beautiful beaches ... and always beautiful hot  characters! ( Abbi Glines' trademark! ). So here, I met the seventeener  Sadie. Sweet, innocent , almost naive about the worldly things and super responsible! Imagine, she took all the responsibility of taking care of her very pregnant ( way irresponsible !) Mom?!  How hard life must be for her. When other girls her age must be partying, meeting new friends , having fun on summers, she has to work to make ends meet. Does she have a choice? No.  I am instantly drawn to her.

   Since her Mom can't work, she took her Mom's job as house help at one of the beach houses which belongs to the famous teen Rock star, Jax Stone.  But of course, Jax noticed our beautiful Sadie here. He can't even take her eyes off her. Sadie was starstruck , face to face to the most sought after , gorgeous teen heartthrob in America... but she ignored the feeling and tried not to show it. Though, she can't seem to hide her blush which amused Jax more!

   As the story goes on, Sadie got to know Jax. She discovered that he is not what he seems as the tabloids and papers says. Deep in his celebrity persona, there's this boy who really is not into this fame and limelight. Jax Stone is caring, compassionate  and has a sweet soul. It was the other side of Jax, and the side she saw. Sadie can't help but to open her heart to the boy that she knows will only stay for awhile.  What they have  is nothing but a summer love. This is something new for Sadie. Everything is a first. And most of the time , I can feel that she is a little confused. She wants to stay away from Jax but her heart  just can't. Same thing with Jax, he never met someone as true and unpretentious as Sadie. With Sadie , he is just a normal guy not some famous celebrity . But can they keep it that way? When the truth is that they are worlds apart?

“I’ve never met anyone who has seen past the star and found the real me inside. But even if you hadn’t found the Jax the world doesn’t know, I would be yours. When you smiled at me that first time, I was a goner. I just got lucky with the rest of you.” ( Jax Stone )

  Here comes another guy, Marcus.. a normal guy and a nice guy.. more ideal, and a safe choice for Sadie. But to her , he is just a friend. Nobody can make her heart flutter and her skin tingle like Jax does. Arrgh! this friend zone  is so frustrating sometime!  I really feel sorry for Marcus. Oh well, maybe Sadie wants a complicated lovelife?! Ugh.



     “I would never love someone the way I love Jax, it was a little easier to breath. He would always be in my heart, whether he wanted to be there or not. I just didn’t have enough room for anyone else. He was my air, my soul, and the keeper of my heart.” ( Sadie  White )


     Obviously , they are in love.  But then , Jax being famous and everything.. plus getting public with their relationship.. end up bad. Like bad publicity rip them up.. ending  them apart. Of course, Sadie become depressed. Who isn't? Jax was her first love!  Plus , high school life and  responsibility with her baby brother  is taking  so much of her sanity! I pity her. It must be twice as hard as her life before Jax. But as story goes on. Issues are resolved and a compromise was made.  And I think that's a mature way of facing it.  

     The plot of this story is quite predictable but I'm a little bias here because it's from Abbi Glines!  ( And I love her! ) Plus I can't help my self but to swoon over Jax Stone! Imagine, he wrote a song for Sadie and sang it to her at the hospital! ( Never leaving her side! ) While she was on a coma!  And it was Jax voice who strengthen her and eventually woke her up.( kind of The Sleeping beauty?! )  Yes, kind of a fairytale  only with a Bonus : she got the kiss and the song! Tell me if that's not swoony? Then what do you call it??




     And it won't hurt  to say, that Jax Stone is one of the sweetest rockstar ever!  Here is  an excerpt of his song for Sadie (swoon! ) :

“Your eyes hold the key to my soul. Your hands heal all my pain, and you’re everything that makes this boy whole. When you breathe, it sends warmth through my veins. When you laugh, my body goes insane. You’re all I need to survive. Your body is what makes me feel alive.”

“Don’t cry. I’m not that strong. I can’t stand here when your heart is broken. How I long to be all you need. But instead I’m everything that’s wrong. No, no, don’t cry. I’m not that strong. I can’t stand here, when your heart is broken How I long to be all you need. But instead, I’m everything that’s wrong.”


And here's my playlist for Jax and Sadie:

No Air by Jordin Sparks: 



Lovesick Fool by The Cab:


   
                                 My verdict:

                     3 sweetest Rock- stars! 


No comments:

Post a Comment