Friday, July 26, 2013

My Review : Faking It by Cora Carmack

Faking It (Losing It, #2)    
From Goodreads:

Mackenzie “Max” Miller has a problem. Her parents have arrived in town for a surprise visit, and if they see her dyed hair, tattoos, and piercings, they just might disown her. Even worse, they’re expecting to meet a nice, wholesome boyfriend, not a guy named Mace who has a neck tattoo and plays in a band. All her lies are about to come crashing down around her, but then she meets Cade.

Cade moved to Philadelphia to act and to leave his problems behind in Texas. So far though, he’s kept the problems and had very little opportunity to take the stage. When Max approaches him in a coffee shop with a crazy request to pretend to be her boyfriend, he agrees to play the part. But when Cade plays the role a little too well, they’re forced to keep the ruse going. And the more they fake the relationship, the more real it begins to feel.

                           My Thoughts:

    After reading Losing it, I'm officially a fan of Cora Carmack! And now reading its sequel, Faking it, I was expecting it to be as great as the first book. I can say that I have never been disappointed because this one exceeded my expectations!
 
    My heart goes for the sweet Cade who's been friend-zoned  by Bliss on Losing it. I really , really wanted him to have his "Happily Ever After". I was beautifully surprised when I read book 2 and found out that this one's about Cade! My gosh! If Garrick from Losing it is swoony... then Cade is swoonier?! Is that even a word?! Well, it is now a word, and I'm making it exclusively for Cade!

   Cade..Cade... there's so much  things to love about you! Forget the almond , beautiful eyes... the thick lashes.. the dimples?!  Gosh! So much to fangirl about! He is a total gentleman, a mom hugger?! ( Tell you about that later! ) ...and he's like a knight in shinning armor?! Of course , helping damsels in distress! ( me! me! I volunteer! haha.) And who's the lucky damsel in distress? Well, that's  the tricky part...

   Mckenzie or Max is uhmmm... not your typical damsel in distress. Okay, she is clearly in distress when her parents is about impromptu visit her? So, looks like it's no big deal? But it is ! When she lied about almost everything... like having a decent boyfriend that she met in the library?! ( when clearly she has this douche-chy bf from her band?!)  It's capital "T" for trouble! So, I don't have to tell you who's to the rescue? Of course it's from the ever nice..ever reliable Cade! ( who happens to be a stranger she just saw at the cafe!)
Yes! She just asked a stranger to be her pretend boyfriend ! It is awkward! But then  Max is desperate! And Cade, my sweet, sweet Cade .. as expected cannot say NO! Plus, there's something about Max that fascinated him. Could it be the red hair , the full lips or the leaves in branches tattoo that begins from her neck going down ? Clearly, Cade was looking at it , discreetly?! ( Haha! Always the gentleman?! )

   Who is this  Mckenzie / Max that captured Cade's full attention? As I have said, she is not our typical damsel. Imagine this, red colored hair, tattoos, body piercings ...raging   bitch ( as she calls herself! ) ... and Angry girl  ( Cade's personal nickname for her! ) I was like, has the world gone mad?! These two are the complete opposite! Like night and day... black and white?! ....Hmmm.. but what did they say? Opposite attracts?  Golden boy meets Angry girl.  Preppy guy meets Rocker chick. It was pretty interesting!


   When Max's parents met Cade... they adore him! Specially the Mom ! Here comes the mom-hugger Cade! ( Does he come with a " 100% mom-approved seal" too? ) Plus he is witty , respectful ... gosh ! Is he for real?? He's just perfect..perfect!
   But of course, everything is just a pretend! But then as I watched these two.. it was undeniable that they felt something. Like they wish it was true? And there's no way they can fake it! *swoon! Well, I want it to be REAL when it comes to Cade! Can I keep him... pretty pretty please???


    I love the witty and funny banters and the "I'd-kill-you-later" look between Cade and Max. It was funny and really adorable. And they took this role playing to a notch! Well, Cade can really do that because he's an aspiring actor, right?  But then, is this still an act?  Hmmm.. Well, he's clearly into this feisty red-haired chick! But Max has a  sort -of- boyfriend!  Now that's a problem. What's with these unavailable chicks anyway? First it's Bliss now Max? Poor Cade. ( Choose me! Choose me! and I'll gladly take Max or Bliss' place anytime! Hah! )

“This whole thing was a game. She wasn’t my girlfriend, even if her parents did love me. Especially because her parents loved me. I’d never dated a girl like her, and she’d probably never dated a guy like me. But sometimes you don’t know what you’re looking for until it’s already knocked you flat on your back. And what was the point in living if I was only going to travel the same roads again and again?” -Cade

“Despite how much he scared me, I felt comfortable with him. It was complicated. Looking at him, I knew this wasn’t the kind of fear that sent you running for the hills. It was the kind of fear that made people jump off cliffs and climb mountains—the kind of fear that told you something miraculous was waiting at the end of it, if you could only get there.”- Max

    The chemistry between them is undeniable. One of my fave moments was when Max asked Cade to go dancing. My! It was sizzling hot! And Cade can totally bust a sexy dance move! Gosh! Is there anything  our Golden boy can't do?! * fanning myself!  But there's always something holding them back. And between the two of them, I think Max carries the heavier baggage. She kept many things... the guilt, the fear , the insecurities... and even how she really feels for Cade.  So, she pretends that she doesn't care...And built this protective wall around her. So, what did Cade do?  Instead of letting  go...He's still there for her!  And even pushed her to open up... and be herself ... the self she really wants to be  not the Mckenzie her parents wanted her to be. She is Max perfectly imperfect.  I think I've fallen hard for  Cade even more!


      The ending was perfect! Cade got his "happily ever after". Mission accomplished!  Now, I can see myself sporting a satisfied smile!  Cade and Max's story taught  me when to hold on and when to let go. It means letting  go of things you can't change but holding on to what's worth fighting for. 

    “There are some things that are worth fighting for, no matter the outcome, and you are one of them.” - Cade

“I’ll remind you every day how amazing it feels when your body touches mine. I’ll remind you of the good times, and help you forget the bad. I’ll remind you who you are when life has beaten you down and made you doubt it. I’ll bust down your door in the middle of the night and kiss you until you remember that your fears are just that, and they can’t control you. I’ll take my chances against your fickle heart if it means it’s mine.” - Cade

                      My Playlist:

"I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz   http://youtu.be/EkHTsc9PU2A

"Perfect" by Pink  http://youtu.be/ocDlOD1Hw9k


      

            I'm giving this book :
         4 swoon-tastic sweetest stars!


      

       



4 comments:

  1. I've liked the first volume. Can't wait to put my hand on this one!
    Great review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucie, you got to read this one! I love it more than Losing it! ( and you'll fall for Cade for sure! :P ) Thanks for liking my review! :)

      Delete
  2. I love the premise of this one compared to Losing It. So I may check this out after I get through my growing YA tbr pile O_O Glad that this one turned out to meet (and exceed!) your expectations :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becca, you should put this one on top of your ( ever growing )TBR list! This is really a good one! :D

      Delete