Thursday, September 12, 2013

My Review : Playing for keeps by R. L. Mathewson

Playing for Keeps (A Neighbor from Hell, #1)                                                
From Goodreads:
Done with being the world's biggest pushover, Haley decides that things are going to change starting with the aggravating neighbor who has too much charm and not enough restraint. What she didn't expect was to be sucked into his world, but Haley has a game plan and she won't let herself forget just what the bad boy next door is capable of. 

The last thing Jason expected was for his little shy neighbor to go Rambo on him over some ruined flowers. After he decides to take her under his wing he can't help but notice that she fits very nicely in his life. Now the only thing left is to convince her that this is anything but a game.

                             My Thoughts:


     It's been a long time since I laugh-read-giggled-laugh-read. Yes! In that particular order! ( and on repeat mode! ) This book has been sitting on my shelf  for a long time. I've read a lot of "heavy" books, and when I say heavy it means emotion filled... mostly angst and world shattering , mind blowing cliffhangers. Not that I'm complaining ( I love playing with my different emotions! ---what's wrong with me?! ) ...but I think I needed a change of scenery? And this book? Just perfect!

   The story started when Haley, the world's greatest pushover was finally push into her limits  over a ruined tulip flowerbed! Yes, for  ruined flowers ...her vision blur and has seen red! Like it's World War 3!!  And who could be the recipient of this virulent wrath no other but her douche ..but Uhmmm, really attractive neighbor, Jason! I found myself giggle imagining this two fight like  5 year olds! And what a perfect timing when a swarm of bees begun attacking them?! Oh, I should be thanking the bees... because that is the start of their unlikely friendship!


    I really, really  love the characters, specially Haley whom I can personally relate! Yes, I am a pushover..well at least I once was. I know how it feels when you have to smile , nod and pretend it's okay but deep inside your'e feel like revolting and want to explode and burn the world?! That intense?! Feels like it! Haha.  And there's the neighbor from hell, Jason! Well, he is an ass most of the time but can't help but to adore him! And when he attacked Haley's chocolate brownies with peanut frosting like a starved little boy?! I was instantly smitten! I always had a weakness for guys ( specially the really attractive ones?! ) with a BIG...( Uh-oh not that ! *dirty mind!* haha. ) ...big appetite for sweets! And when I say big it's huge! Like he can wipe clean an entire bowl but still asking for more ( and no sharing -policy?!) ?!! Oh my! Where is he putting those calories then?! In his well sculpted pecs and abs?! *groans then blushes*

    I love how the story goes. It's not insta-love nor insta-attraction which were most of the book themes that I've read lately ( kinda cliche!) Jason and Haley became good friends..well most of the time! When they are not trying to sabotage one another. Like Jason acting like a jerk ( a cute jerk! ) when he tried to scare away Haley's prospect dates?! His ways? believe me... are creatively hilarious!  I was laughing out loud!

    And you think "pushover" Haley would give in? Revenge is sweeter than her brownies with peanut butter frosting! What a better way of torturing Jason but through food?! Imagine, Jason all tied up...  and Haley  eating / finishing those brownies in front of him?! Ooooohhh.. this is so going well..and better when Haley shaved his body hair?! Like armpits and legs?! Way too much to emasculate our poor baby Jason! Torture?! You can say that again! Haha.

     As time passes by, their friendship goes deeper... the more comfortable they are with each other. Comfortable as in, Haley's fridge becomes Jason's constant source of sustenance?!  They even share a bed together! Oh yeah, that's "super comfortable"?!  It's kinda weird for a sleeping arrangement, don't you think? But then again ... they sleep better when together! Hah! Now this becomes tricky when it becomes intimate?! Clue: Jason...and Haley's raging hormones?! Like they can stand not to get burned at the close proximity of their warm bodies?! Looks impossible? But not to Jason! YES! The exact Jason I knew who can never resist even the faint smell of dessert...BUT can resist his...uhmmm, bodily urges?! IMPOSSIBLE!!! But then, he'll do anything for his little grasshopper, Haley ! I really loved that nickname!

    I love how Ms. R. L. Mathewson wrote her characters. Haley and Jason are both lovable from beginning up to end page. I won't be surprise if I would become a Jason-Haley fan. I am really , really rooting for these two to end up together even when I just started reading it. They are just perfect for each other.  I watch them fight ( like little kids!) , become good friends.... and grew something more  deeper...and uhhmm, hotter! If that's what you call a make out session, how much more for the "real act" ?! If I tell you, what these two has been doing inside the four corners of their bedrooms ? It was SUPER STEAMY!! And ABSOLUTELY NOT for  minors! *covers eyes and grinning!*


    I love it when Haley finally came out of her shell and learn to how to assert herself. And Jason? From douche player to a total hopeless Romeo! What a transformation!  And I find it super cute when he goes all Alpha male for Haley. Like he wants to beat the hell out of any guy  checking out "his Haley" ?! Oh yeah. Even his friends?!  No one was spared.

    The conflict begun  when both started to  question one's feelings and intention for each other. Who's playing around and and who's playing for keeps? Can  Jason prove that he wants to be more than Haley's sleeping buddy?  Can Haley give in to what she truly felt for Jason?

  If you want to see how this cookie ( choco brownie ) monster fell in love with his little grasshopper ? Or how this little grasshopper jumped into her cookie monster's heart?  Go read this book and fall in love like I do.


    
                     I'm giving this book:

           4 sweetest Chocolate brownie stars! 




***Pictures and  Gifs on this blog are from Google****
 


 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely review, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I think I'll pick up this book for one of my next TBRs. Oh btw loved your choco cookie star rating system :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , Marika! Yes, this one's must-read if you want to giggle-laugh-swoon like me! :D

      Delete