Friday, November 29, 2013

My Review: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars
From Goodreads:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

                      My Review:

    "Okay."  One word...from Hazel and Gus and I had the ugliest cry EVER!  I was forewarned that this one's a tearjerker , I did not took it seriously . I thought it may be just a sniff ..or a few tears... but I was WRONG! I sobbed.. cried  a river! It was unadulterated tears in its full glory! And it's been a long time since I cried like THAT!

     The ugly crying... the crushing , tight feeling on my chest ?  I blame you, Mr. Green for breaking my heart and putting it back together. I blame you for taking away hope and giving it back when everything's seemed hopeless. I blame you for never answering my question and revealing it when I finally figured it out. Yes, I want to blame you for everything  else but I can't ...because it's not your fault... it was the fault in our stars!

   This was my first time to read a John Green book and I couldn't be more glad that I picked this book.     There is something  special on the way, Mr. Green writes. It has a lot of philosophical phrases and  uhhm,  "high" (complicated) words (as I always search my dictionary or better yet let my e-reader define! ) and ideas that I have to read twice or more to finally get what it means. If I choose the easier way, then I'll  probably drop this book and moved on to my next read, a much easier read. I mean, why take all the fuss when reading is supposed to be..a leisure? But NO, I did not stop... instead of being discourage, I am truly, inexplicably drawn to Mr. Green's written words !

    If you think this book is your typical love story...about boy meets girl , unwavering eye contact..then boom! Stars explode... the universe collide... they fall in love ..then  they lived happily ever after..end of story... then you should not be reading this. I know.. I know.. we are all suckers for a good romance, aren't we? " The fault in your stars" was definitely  not on my " typical romance books".. it was  a wonderful surprise!

  Hazel Grace and Augustus are both very lovable and unforgettable characters. I think  about what these two were going through, being a teen ... not just being a teen.. but teens battling cancer! Like Hazel having stage 4 lung cancer and Gus  getting his leg amputated for Osteosarcoma. But this did not stopped them from living the Best of their lives... to search for answers.. and eventually find and fall in love.

   I admire them for their uniqueness. The way these two speaks, I had a hard time believing that they are really teenagers. Both are witty and speaks of very insightful words that lead me to think deep. I love how Mr. Green wrote the characters and how he made a seemed ordinary story extraordinary.

   I love how Hazel and Gus first met. It was ..cute? Yes, if I say Gus can't take his eyes off Hazel, you would definitely say, "it's so cliche?!" Hmmm.. cliche- cliche but what happens in between was ...as I put in in my Pink Blog words, SWOONY!  Here's an excerpt :

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

Augustus half smiled. “Because you’re beautiful. I enjoy looking at beautiful people, and I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence.” A brief awkward silence ensued. Augustus plowed through: “I mean, particularly given that, as you so deliciously pointed out, all of this will end in oblivion and everything.”

   Okay. It's also cheesy. But then I like cheesy! And they have all the right to be cheesy..because they're teens?! So, maybe Gus might be lucky because his pick up line worked? Of course, being attractive also helped?  I smiled.  As Hazel said yes when he invited her over to watch movie ( "V" for Vendetta ) at his house? A special friendship was shared.. and books too! Like "An Imperial Affliction" ( About a girl with cancer?) ...Hazel's favorite book in the whole world! ( which had a very EPIC Cliffhanger!) Yeah, a cliffhanger that made Hazel really , really want to find out what happens next? ( Oh. I know how a cliffhanger destroys you. Trust me. hehe. ) You might say: "Easy! Just wait for the sequel! " Oh, it might be convenient if that's the case. BUT the author Peter Van Houten had other plans...like NOT writing a sequel?!  Bum-bum-bummer..right?

    But what did our amazing Augustus do? He used the only wish he got! Yes, like go to Amsterdam, meet Van Houten and get Hazel's answer?! If you don't call  romantic, then what's that?!

   Their moments  during that trip were priceless and really , really beautiful. And Gus "Love declaration" over a thousand feet?! (On the plane!) ...was ...was.. Swoon worthy! Definitely one of my favorites! 

“I’m in love with you,” he said quietly.

“Augustus,” I said.

“I am,” he said. He was staring at me, and I could see the corners of his eyes crinkling. “I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.”

    Being together and looking at them, I almost forgot that they have cancer. Enjoying the sights , the strolls even the dinner at Oranjee was wonderful! Reality bites when I started to realize that someone will eventually die. Like our stars in our skies at night, they won't last forever. 

     I was never prepared for the  halfway towards the end of this  book! It was also the part that I cried much like I don't even care whether I was outside my house, on the bus or anywhere! I cried. And cried.. and cried. That was the saddest.. Saddest part of this book...and yes, it started when someone said, " it's okay ..."  and...

“You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices. I hope she likes hers.

I do, Augustus.

I do.”

    
            I'm giving this book:
 5 highly emotional , unforgettable stars!







 
 




 

1 comment:

  1. The Fault in Our Stars is indeed beautiful. It made me cry and want to be a better person.

    ReplyDelete