Friday, May 23, 2014

My Review : We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

We Were Liars
Goodreads:
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.
 
We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. 

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.


                             My Thoughts:

     I really have no clear words after I read this book...instead, I found tears trailing down my cheeks. It pulled out  huge , heavy emotions from my unsuspecting  heart.  I've experienced clash of emotions ....confusion and clarity ...desolation and hope...anger and pity. All these hit me  like big  threatening ocean waves ...leaving me grasping for air and helpless. It was overwhelming...and yes, that's what I discovered when I went inside Cadence Sinclair Eastman's mind.

    There is really something about Cadence ....and Johnny and Mirren and Gat... and the rest of the Sinclairs.

" Welcome to the beautiful Sinclair Family.
No one is a criminal.
No one is an addict.
No one is a failure... "

"It doesn't matter if one of us is desperately , desperately in  love.
So much in love that equally desperate measures must be taken.
We are Sinclairs. No one is needy. No one is wrong. We live,at least in summertime, on a private island off the coast of Massachusetts.
Perhaps that is all you need to know..."

  But is that really all we need to know?

  Cadence revisited Sinclairs private island on the hope of bringing up her lost  memories and find out what really  happened  last Summer Fifteen. Maybe The Liars ....her cousins Johnny, Mirren and the love of her life, Gat  hold the answer? About that truth?  Maybe. Just maybe. Or maybe ...it was best left untold?

  This book is a mind blowing mindf@ck. I read only a few really thought provoking and mind stimulating books, but I can already say that this is a good one. It made me question a lot of things. It made me want Cadence to remember everything...every single detail of  what she did or what the Liars did.

   As Cady's memories resurfaced bit by bit.... I thought I knew everything but I don't.  The truth caught me off guard!  It made me sad , angry, sad, angry about how Sinclairs... are simply being a Sinclair. Now, I totally sound....like , not myself?  I would very much like to explain myself... but I stopped. It is better left unsaid.  Or best, find it ...find all about it ,yourself.


I love how the author wrote all that words.   The repetition , seems silly at first but a closer look at it? Strange but I rather find it ...poetic?  ..philosophical?  Like that idea of ...if reality splits?

"...there are parallel universes in which different events have happened to same people. An alternate choice has been made, or an accident has turned out differently. Everyone has duplicates of themselves in these other worlds. Different lives, different luck. Variations. "

    I loved that idea...loved how it stirred something within me. What if I do this , instead of that..would it result to same outcome..or the total opposite? So many what if's... Just like what Cady and the Liars did , that Summer fifteen.


    It was hypnotic... even the fairytale  mentioned, comes with a sudden twist... was a clear story of what might happened to the Sinclairs ..to the Liars. It was engaging that I find it hard to tear me away from the book.

    Until .....the whole truth was revealed. Everything came like flashbacks.  The plan. The intention. The tragedy.  I was dumbstrucked... heart broken...I cried. I cried for Cadence. I cried for Johnny, for Mirren, for Gat.  I cried for the Sinclairs...


           I'm giving this book:
           4 Sinclair Liars Stars







 

No comments:

Post a Comment